From HS2 Community Forums:
“The HS2 Community Forum team would like to inform you that Patrick McLoughlin, the Secretary of State for Transport, has today announced the launch of two consultations related to the HS2 route between London and the West Midlands; one on Property Compensation and another on Safeguarding.
The Property Compensation Consultation sets out a proposed package of measures designed for owners and occupiers of property along the London-West Midlands line of route. These measures reflect our commitment to providing proper compensation and assistance for those affected by the building of the new railway.
The proposals include:
- a streamlined system of advanced and voluntary purchase to simplify the process for property owners in the safeguarded area and provide greater certainty for those property owners outside the safeguarded area in rural areas;
- a sale and rent back scheme, to allow homeowners whose property will need to be demolished to sell their homes but remain living in them as tenants until the properties are required for the railway;
- a hardship scheme, to help those with a need to move during the development of HS2 but who are unable to sell their home despite being outside both the safeguarded area and the voluntary purchase zone;
- a series of measures designed to provide confidence for those in properties above tunnels (before and after surveys, settlement deeds and subsoil rights); and
- a framework for working with local authorities, housing associations and tenants affected by HS2, to agree a joint strategy to replace any social rented housing which is lost.
Safeguarding directions are intended to protect the line of route from conflicting developments and are an established practice for large infrastructure projects. The Safeguarding Consultation is aimed primarily at local planning authorities along the line of route, who will be aware of relevant planning issues in their areas and to whom the directions would apply.
The HS2 Consultation website includes full details of both consultations, including all relevant consultation documents, maps and factsheets. Details of how to respond to the consultations are also set out there.
As part of the Property Compensation Consultation, HS2 Ltd will be organising a series of Information Events along the line of route, which will provide an opportunity to discuss the contents of our proposals. A confirmed schedule of events will soon be posted on the consultation website and will be communicated to all Community Forum members. The events will also be advertised in the local press. As a forum member, you will of course be most welcome to visit an event.
The Community Forums Team
High Speed 2 (HS2) Ltd