Thanks to Created in Birmingham and More Canals Than Venice for reminding me that Capsule’s tenth birthday is almost upon us (I’m rubbish at remembering birthdays, as my poor mother will testify). It seems VIVID on Heath Mill Lane will be playing host to the month-long birthday party:
Capsule will be taking over Vivid, an arts space in deepest darkest Digbeth where you can expect a number of exciting concerts, exhibitions and workshops with special guests including LIGHTNING BOLT, GEOFF BARROW of PORTISHEADS latest project BEAK>, MODIFIED TOY ORCHESTRA and many more. There will also be a night at the very prestigious Town Hall Birmingham with old and new friends as well as an evening with two heavy weight doom merchants SUNN 0))) + OM and of course plenty of cake.
Glad to hear there’s lots of birthday cake. VIVID will be hosting:
- The launch party on 1st Dec with Monotonix and special guests Beestung Lips, Cum Dogs and Esquilax.
- A gig on 8th Dec gig of Lightening Bolt, Tweak Bird and Pete Prescription.
- Another gig on 11th Dec with Pram ‘creating an eerie musical nightmare’ and Light Trap. After seeing Pram perform at Supersonic earlier this year, this is definately one I’ll make.
- Afternoon tea with 7 Inch Cinema on 13th Dec with a light buffet with a healthy serving of films ‘of hairy men shouting and small dogs in space’. Weirdly, this is the one I’m most excited about.
- Yet another gig on 16th Dec with Beak> (Geoff Barrow – Portishead), local lads Einstellung and Thought Forms.
- ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You’ (Aha!) on 17th Dec, a fee event with Created in Birmingham ‘bringing some of Birmingham’s most exciting independent creatives together for a quickfire evening of show and tell.’ There’ll be drinks, cake and music to keep the creative juices flowing.
- A Closing Party on 19th Dec with the fantastic Modified Toy Orchestra, PCM, Calvados Beam Trio, Una Corda and Stinky Wizzleteat.
There’s lots more going on outside of the VIVID gallery over December too – check out Capsule’s Coming Up page for details.